The Linux expert is an experienced software engineer specializing in the Linux operating system version designed for embedded systems.
Discover his missions, his educational background, his skills, his salary,…
The Linux expert is involved in the entire lifecycle of a product, while the embedded Linux software engineer usually focuses on the implementation part.
More concretely, as part of the development of a new software, this experienced engineer:
- Captures and synthesizes the needs of the applicant
- Offers one or more architectural solutions
- Intervenes at the implementation level, coding but also supervising less experienced engineers
If he intervenes on an expertise mission to enhance a development reliability, his work will consist of:
- Check the specification and its implementation
- Analyze and detect bugs on the existing version
- Evaluate the impact of the bugs found, propose workarounds and establish a technical estimate for their correction
- Correct / develop new features on the software
- Provide technical support to developers
How to become a Linux expert
To become a Linux expert, you must have a master degree or an engineer diploma in electronics or IT, with at least a 8 years experience in embedded software development.
Linux expert skills
Of course, the Linux expert masters Linux and C coding with great efficiency.
He / she participated in the development of multiple drivers, under Linux or possibly with another embedded OS.
But more generally, he’s an engineer who likes to read source code! Because this is the best way to perfect your knowledge, which is another essential point: you have to like to learn, to position yourself in a process of continuous progression, for example via a personal watch. Indeed, the source code evolves rapidly: it is not because we know Linux at time T that we will remain expert at time T + 1 or T + 2.
Finally, as a result of his many professional experiences, he / she has created a global system vision, which allows him to understand a software in its entirety.
Linux expert salary
The salary of a Linux expert depends on many factors: his experience, his skills, the location of the job, the size of the company, etc..
Linux engineer job opportunities in France
ELSYS Design recruits Linux development engineers in France. In Paris, Rennes, Nantes, Grenoble, Lyon, Aix-en-Provence, Nice Sophia Antipolis and Toulouse.
The offers are to be discovered on our jobs board.